Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cleve. Hts. Aug '77

8/1/77

Dear Family,

I have been back at the homestead for one week and the newsworthiness of my daily existence has declined dramatically. My routine is methodical and somewhat productive as my efforts are directed toward getting ready for the fall.

Dr. Kahng called last week and informed me: that I can use Mgrl Finance for the fall. Since this was written by Dr W and I am fairly familiar with it, I do not envision any insurmountable difficulties. He also informed me that he had rented a $205/mo. two bedroom apt. for me. The apartment is allegedly “a five minute walk" from my office and recently built. The proximity means that I will probably go up without a car.

Getting into a routine here has not been difficult. I am jogging at the JCC track for 2 miles/day. The NYT and WSJ are readily available at Gray Drug in Severance.

I do not expect too dismal a social life while here. Judy is excellent company and a lot of old friends are around. Last night I had a blind date with a daughter of one of Mom's friends. Sherri is entering law school in the fall. Other than this and her moderate beauty, she is quite un-noteworthy.

Cleve. Hts. is alive and well this summer. A plethora of activities are taking place in Cain Park. Just walking the neighborhood streets is an enjoyable visual experience, so lacking in LA. The air is also noticeably clearer and I am sure this has added to my jogging speed (13:50 for two miles).


August 8, 1977

Dear Family,

A belated greetings from the homestead. The weekend flew past and the thought of writing just slipped by. I trust that everyone on the other end of this communiqué is in good health and spirits.

The preparation for next year is progressing. The path is not as smooth or as trouble-free as I'd have hoped, but no reason to panic yet. I spoke to Dr. Kahng today and the events in Morris are progressing without trouble. The only unsettling news is that whether or not I will be teaching Managerial Acctg. in the fall is still undecided.

Since sister, mother, and father all go separate ways in the morning I am left without motorized transport. Thus my days are spent within the confines of our house or the immediate surroundings. I am getting my daily jog and virtually daily NYT and WSJ so my complaints are minimal. I enjoy being the one hone and able to prepare dinner.

This weekend Judy and I went to see "Annie Hall." Undeniably his best movie to date, it still did not manage to transcend his ever-present sarcasm and sardonicism. Woody AlIen's lack of belief and faith in anything keeps me from considering him great. Still, I have never ceased to marvel at how his audiences ingest the ethnicity of his humor and the acerbity and causticity of his wit, and walk away awaiting the next dose.

I am seeing some old acquaintances. All, as expected are passive in their pursuit of dialog and friendship and thus I am left to my own thoughts most of the tine.
I have started Menachim Begin's Revolt: story of the Irgun (1951) . Though his thoughts and intentions are more eloquent than this english translation, it thus far rarks as one of the most moving testaments and exhortations for aliyah. This coming year should entail a lot of hard thinking and planning.
Inferring from current plans, I will probably be leaving for Morris within two weeks. My lease starts on the 15th (next Monday) and Judy will be out touring the east with boyfriend Haim, so the big move would seem optimal at this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home